Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Don't Remember Seeing This Before...

Since a picture is worth a multitude of words, I guess I am going to have to have my camera with me at all times in the future, because I missed the two shots that might have increased your interest and enjoyment of the following observations: 

Several days ago, in a car headed downtown, passing woods along one side,  I noticed a tree with two large Red-tailed Hawks sitting in it. They were on different branches, facing in opposite directions about eight to ten feet apart. In all of my nature watching, and I love to pay attention to the various hawks along the road and highways, I don't remember ever seeing two so close together. 

I looked up the mating time for these birds and it is late winter, early spring, but I'm wondering if there is any other reason for their behavior. 

And as if this wasn't enough,  my husband and I were coming home this afternoon on a two lane country road, when another Red-tail picked up off a deer carcass and circled in the air till we passed. I did a bit of research on this occurrence and found that some sources say Red-tails do not eat carrion, and others say, when food is scarce they do. Well, like the familiar Bible verse, "I don't know about that, but this I do know....I saw it, and so did my husband." 

So, keep watching and keep encouraging your children to take an interest in what is around them, observing season by season, so that they may intrigued when they see something that is  "different!" 

2 comments:

Alana - The Mommy said...

We saw a hawk swoop down and pick up either a squirrel or a rabbit the other day. It was very exciting!

Lynn Hasty said...

I was just thinking today that I need to have my camera with me at all times! I missed some good shots today.

I *think* I saw an owl the other night and I immediately thought of you. I know you like owls.

Lynn ~:-D